Register a Business FAQs

Register a Business

How do I register for a tax permit for my business?

  • You must have a Federal Identification Number (FEIN# or EIN) and Business License before registering for a tax permit.
  • Register for a Tax Permit Online at Nevada Tax Center.
    • When applying online, you will receive the permit ID# within 24 hours.
  • Register for a Tax Permit by Mail: Download and complete the Nevada Business Registration Form – Download

    • Mailing Address:
      Department of Taxation
      3850 Arrowhead Dr., 2nd Floor
      Carson City, NV 89706
    • Note: If you do not have a location in Nevada but are registering with the Department, please enter your out-of-state Business Name on line 8, ‘Nevada Name (DBA)’ and your Business Location on line 10, ‘Location of Nevada Business Operations’.

    • Note: Please allow several weeks for the permit ID# when using this form, or longer if payment is not received at the same time as the form.

Who needs to register for a tax permit?

  • Non-retail businesses that sell or lease tangible personal property or provide a taxable service in Nevada need to register for a Sales/Use Tax Permit.
    • Essentially, if your business operations involve the transfer of physical goods or taxable services to customers in Nevada, you need this permit.
  • Non-retail businesses that do not sell directly to the public but still use, consume, or store tangible personal property in Nevada that they didn’t pay sales tax on need to register for a Consumer Use Tax Permit.
    • Examples include office supplies bought from an out-of-state vendor without paying Nevada sales tax.
  • See also: Sales Tax & Use Tax Types and Sales Tax FAQs.

Do I need to renew my resale tax permit?

  • A Nevada Resale Certificate does not expire. It is valid until the retailer closes its business and sales tax account with the Department.
  • When getting a Resale Certificate, a business must be registered with the Department for a Seller’s Permit to be issued.
  • The Seller’s Permit is required to be posted in the business location. It does not expire and remains in place until the sales tax account is closed with the Department. The Resale Certificate can then be issued to the retailer. 
  • It is good business practice to verify any resale certificate provided by a customer with the Department on a regular basis.
  • Search permits here.

Who needs to register for Modified Business Tax permit?

The Modified Business Tax (MBT) is specific to businesses operating in Nevada that engage in certain activities or meet specific payroll thresholds. Here’s who needs to apply:

  1. General Businesses: Businesses whose total gross wages paid to employees exceed $50,000 in a calendar quarter are required to register for and pay the Modified Business Tax.
    • NOTE: The rate and specific requirements can vary depending on the industry, such as financial institutions or mining, which may have different rates or provisions under the MBT.
  2. Financial Institutions: Registration is mandatory regardless of the payroll amount.
  3. Businesses with Employees in Nevada: Any business with employees based in Nevada who are paid wages subject to unemployment insurance is typically required to register for the MBT.

How do I register for a Modified Business Tax Permit?

What if my business requires another type of business registration?

  • If you’re involved in selling liquor or tobacco, charging admission for live entertainment, running an exhibition facility, selling tires, renting vehicles for short periods, or if you’re a financial institution, contact the Department by phone to register for any other taxes you might need to pay.
  • Contact the Department’s Call Center at (866) 962-3707.

What are the fees to register a new business?

Sales tax permit per location $15.00
Certificate of compliance (sale and shipping of liquor in Nevada) $50.00
Wholesale application (to import and/or wholesale of wine, liquor or beer)
Brew pubs, breweries or wineries located in State of Nevada $75.00
Importer of wine, beer, and spirits $500.00
Importer of beer $150.00
Wholesale of wine, beer and spirits $250.00
Wholesaler of beer $75.00
Cigarette wholesale dealers license $650.00
Other tobacco products wholesale dealers license $650.00
Cigarette manufacturers license $1,000.00
Tobacco retail dealer license $50.00

The Nevada Business Registration asks for Owner information, do I have to provide this information?

  • The Department of Taxation requests owner names, percentage owned, titles, home addresses, Social Security Numbers, and phone numbers to ensure up to date and complete information.
  • Without providing all the requested information, the Department may not complete your registration. This information provided to the Department is kept confidential.

What should I fill in for ‘Nevada Name (DBA)’ and ‘Location of Nevada Business Operation(s)’ if I don’t have a business in Nevada?

  • The Nevada Business Registration asks for ‘Nevada Name (DBA)’ line 7 and ‘Location of Nevada Business Operation(s)’ Line 1.
  • If you do not reside in Nevada, but are registering with the Department, enter your out-of-state Business Name and Business Location.

I am unable to register with my Local County or City until I provide proof from the Nevada Department of Taxation. What do I do?

  • In order to provide proof to local licensing, verify that you are appropriately registered with the Department.
  • You can provide the City or County any one of the following items:
    • A copy of your Nevada Business Registration or Sales Tax Permit with the Department of Taxation’s validated received stamp on it.
    • A copy of your Sales Tax Permit.
    • Proof of Confirmation from our online system, Nevada Tax.
    • Note: each county or city may have different requirements.

What information is available for a newly registered business?

Note: FAQs are for general guidance only. For written advice as it relates to your business, request an advisory opinion from the Department.

▲ Back to Top