Nevada Tax FAQs

Table of Contents

What taxes are there in Nevada?

Nevada has several taxes including Sales & Use Tax, Property Tax, Commerce Tax, Insurance Premium Tax and more.

Am I required to register my new business with the Department of Taxation to receive a tax permit?

  • Yes. Registering your new business with the Nevada Department of Taxation formally declares it to the state for tax purposes.
  • This registration allows the state to collect various taxes from your business, such as sales tax, use tax, and excise tax.
  • Registration provides access to the necessary tax permits required for legal operation. For example, if you sell goods, you’ll likely need a Sales/Use Tax Permit.
  • Visit Start / Run a Business to learn more.

What information do I need when registering a new business for a tax permit?

  • Business License ID#.
  • Business entity name, DBA (“Doing Business As”) name, entity address, mailing address, address of business location(s) and address of tax records.
  • The Employer Identification number (FEIN# or EIN).
  • Owner information, name, address, social security number, and date of birth.
  • Start dates for the entity and for the Nevada location(s).
  • Payment – Checking account and routing number.

What tax IDs are required for Nevada Businesses?

Federal Tax IDs

  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
    • Issued by: Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
    • Purpose: Identifies a business entity for federal tax purposes.
    • Usage: Required for federal tax filings, opening a business bank account, hiring employees, and applying for business licenses.

State Tax IDs

  • Business License Number
    • Issued by: Nevada Secretary of State
    • Purpose: Identifies a business operating within the state and ensures it is legally registered.
    • Usage: Required for legal operation of the business in Nevada
  • Sales and Use Tax Permit Number
    • Issued by: Nevada Department of Taxation
    • Purpose: Identifies a business that sells tangible personal property and is required to collect sales tax.
    • Usage: Required for reporting and paying sales and use taxes.
  • Consumer Use Tax Permit Number
    • Issued by: Nevada Department of Taxation
    • Purpose: Identifies a business that uses, stores, or consumes tangible personal property in Nevada and is responsible for paying use tax.
    • Usage: Required for reporting and paying consumer use taxes.
  • State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) Tax Account Number
    • Issued by: Nevada Employment Security Division (ESD)
    • Purpose: Identifies a business for the purpose of paying State Unemployment Insurance taxes.
    • Usage: Required for reporting and paying unemployment insurance taxes.
  • Modified Business Tax (MBT) Number
    • Issued by: Nevada Department of Taxation.
    • Purpose: Identifies a business for the purpose of paying the Modified Business Tax, which is based on the wages paid to employees.
    • Usage: Required for reporting and paying MBT.

Do I need to provide information about the business owner on the Nevada Business Registration form?

  • Yes, when filling out the Nevada Business Registration, you must include information about the owner(s). Any information you provide to the Department is kept confidential.
  • This includes the owner’s names, how much of the business they own, their job titles, home addresses, Social Security Numbers, and phone numbers.
  • The Department of Taxation needs this information to keep their records accurate and complete.
  • If you do not provide all the required information, the Department may not be able to finish your business registration.

Can I register for a tax permit online?

  • Yes. New businesses can register online with the Nevada Tax Center to conveniently file and pay taxes from the comfort of your home or office. 
  • Creating an online account helps streamline the process to ensure that you stay compliant with state tax laws. There are no additional fees to register online.

How do I register for a tax permit online?

  1. Go to the Nevada Tax Center to register your new business account for a tax permit.
  2. First time users should register their new business no less than 3 business days before their tax payment is due to allow enough time to complete the registration process.
  3. During the registration process, you will be asked if you wish to file and pay your taxes online.
  4. If you answer “Yes”, the platform will take you to a different section for that process. 
  5. If you answer “No”, you can always return to change that answer.
  6. After completing the registration process, a confirmation screen instructs you to print the information for your records. You will then be given instructions on payment of any permit fees and security deposits. Payments can be made by E-check or manually

  7. Important Note: Your sales tax permit cannot be issued until your security deposit and permit fees have been paid.

  8. Your information will be able to be viewed by Department of Taxation personnel after 24-48 hours. Please wait to contact the Department or make a payment on your account until after 48 hours have passed.

Why file and pay my business taxes online?

Filing taxes online offers several advantages:

  • Accessibility: You can file and pay taxes anytime, from any location with access to Internet Explorer. If internet access is not available, kiosks are available at some district offices for your convenience.
  • 24/7 Availability: The online platform is available around the clock, allowing you to submit your registration at a time that suits you best, outside of regular business hours.
  • Instant Confirmation: Upon submission, you receive immediate confirmation of your filing and payment.
  • Reduce Errors: Online filing helps to minimize errors because you input figures directly into the tax return, calculate tax automatically and then transmit the information directly to the Department. 
  • Convenience: You can avoid trips to the post office and concerns about lost returns or payments, saving on postage and certified mail fees. You can also conveniently view your account at any time to review your online filings and payments.
  • Efficient Tax Management: Pay your filed returns immediately, or schedule your payment for a future date. Save your banking information to help avoid penalties and interest for late or incorrect filings.
  • Contact the Department to discontinue mailing tax returns.

What if my business is already registered?

  • Go to the Nevada Tax Center to verify your business registration in one of three ways:
    • Provide previous tax return or payment information.
    • Provide your Pre-approved Nevada Tax Center Access Code.
    • Receive your Nevada Tax Center Access Code via USPS mail.
  • Once the information is verified you will be sent two e-mails:
    • 1st email: confirming your chosen username.
    • 2nd email: a temporary password.
  • Log into Nevada Tax Center, type in your username and the temporary password you received in the e-mail.
  • The system will then prompt you to retype the temporary password for verification and ask you to choose a new password.

What name should I use to register my business entity?

  • If Incorporated: Enter the business name exactly as it is registered with the Secretary of State.
  • If a Sole Proprietor: Enter your personal name as the business name.

How do I apply for a Business License?

What is a Federal Identification Number (FEIN#) and how do I get one?

  • A Federal Identification Number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN or FEIN#), is issued by the Internal Revenue Service and is used to identify a business entity.
  • Apply for a FEIN on the IRS website.

What number should sole proprietors use for registration?

  • Social Security Number (SSN): If you are a sole proprietor, you should use your Social Security Number for business registration.

What number should corporations use for registration?

  • Employee Identification Number (EIN): If your business is a corporation, use your Federal Tax Identification Number (FEIN). 
  • For details on obtaining an FEIN, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

What should I do if I acquire all or part of an existing business?

  • Purchasing an Existing Business: When buying a business, you must withhold a portion of the purchase price sufficient to cover any potential sales or use tax liability owed by the seller at the time of sale.
  • Proof of Clearance: Ensure the previous owner provides a receipt from the Department of Taxation showing that the tax liability has been paid or a certificate stating no tax is due.
  • Liability: As a purchaser, you are liable for any outstanding tax amounts due up to the extent of the purchase price if proper proof is not provided.

What is “Doing Business As (DBA)?

  • This is the name of your business. For instance, “SWEET DREAMS BED SHOPPE”. 
  • It is necessary when your operating name differs from the registered business name. 
  • If your business does not have a “DBA”, use your legal name.

What should I enter on line 8 and line 10 on the Nevada Business Registration form if my business is not located in Nevada?

  • If you do not have a location in Nevada but are registering with the Department, please enter your out-of-state Business Name on line 8, ‘Nevada Name (DBA)’ and your Business Location on line 10, ‘Location of Nevada Business Operations’. 

I am unable to register with my Local County or City until I provide proof from the Nevada Department of Taxation. What do I do? 

In order to provide verification that you are appropriately registered with the Department, you may provide the City or County any one of the following items:* 

  • A copy of your Nevada Business Registration or with the Department of Taxation’s received stamp on it. 
  • A copy of your Sales Tax Permit or Consumer Use Tax Permit. 
  • Confirmation from our online system, Nevada Tax. 
  • Compliance letter that is either notarized or signed in front of a Taxation employee.

*Note: each county or city may have different requirements. Proof of registration with Nevada Department of Taxation is received faster when done through Nevada Tax Center.

What is a NAICS code?

  • NAICS stands for the “North American Industry Classification System”. 
  • This code represents a standardized list of business functions that is used throughout North America.
  • You also use this code on your business federal income tax return. 
  • Click here to lookup your NAICS online. 

What is a Certificate of Authority?

  • A Certificate of Authority provides a business entity with the legal permission to conduct business within a jurisdiction where it is not originally registered.
  • Example: If a business is incorporated in another state but wants to operate in Nevada, it needs to obtain a Certificate of Authority.

What if I need to add locations to an existing business or add a new tax type?

  • To add locations to an existing business or to add a new tax type, you must submit a hard copy of the Nevada Business Registration form.

What date should I provide as my business start date?

  • When we ask for your business start date, we’re asking for the date you began operations in Nevada, not when your business opened in any other state.

What if I recently purchased a business?

  • If you recently purchased a business, the start date is the date you took over ownership, not the original opening date under the previous owners.

What ownership information is required when registering my business?

  • You must provide specific ownership information, including an owner or officer’s name, rather than the business entity itself.
  • Example: ABC Corp cannot be listed as the owner of ABC Corp. This information is confidential and not public record.

Who should be listed as the responsible person for my business?

  • During registration, you should provide the name of the responsible person authorized to release information to the Department.
  • This ensures clear communication channels.

How should I estimate my Average Taxable Sales?

  • You are asked to provide a realistic estimate of your expected taxable sales for the next year.
  • This estimate is used to calculate the security deposit required for your Sales Tax Permit.

Where can I obtain a Power of Attorney form?

What should I do if I receive a delinquency notice?

  • If you have received a delinquency notice, it’s important to take prompt notice. This notice means that you have an outstanding tax balance that needs to be paid.
  • The notice will provide information on the amount owed and the due date for payment. It is important to pay the balance by the specified due date to avoid additional penalties and interest charges.
  • If you have any questions or need assistance, you can contact the Nevada Department of Taxation.

Where can I find information on the Top Ten Highest Assessed Taxpayers?

Note: FAQs are for general guidance only. For written advice as it relates to your business, request an advisory opinion from the Department.

▲ Back to Top